Whats in a Name?
Choosing a dating profile name can be daunting, since it's often the first step you will take to launch you into the mysterious land of online dating. While it's tempting to just throw a name up there, we frequently hear people lamenting their thoughtless choices, since once chosen, you are permanently locked and loaded.
Resist the temptation to use part or all of your real name in your online handle or profile name. It's not safe to do so, considering the ease in which online fraud occurs, cross-connecting between social media sites like Facebook and online people-searches. Instead, think about your interests, something that characterizes you, or a nickname.
Keep It Simple
Keep in mind that people will ask you about how you chose your dating profile name, so be prepared! Since you want your name to be easy to remember and recognize, don't make it too complex or obscure. While adding numbers or underscores can help you secure a name that is already taken, be sure not to make it too hard to recall, i.e. RedHead323402.
If You Are Drawing a Blank
Remember that the categories to choose from are endless.
- A great tool is a search engine or thesaurus to get your creative juices flowing.
- Perhaps you have a favorite character in a book or movie, i.e Bogeyfan4real. A computer programmer might like "CodewordGO".
- Perhaps you are a stargazer? Consider using the name of a constellation, such as "Lyra".
- If you are a blue-eyed gardener, why not reflect this with a combination name--BlueAspen.
- Interested in your ethnic heritage or Irish history? A search for Irish male names may yield you a perfect profile name that fits, such as Cormac, the most famous of ancient Irish kings.
This same formula applies to anything you are interested in. In this way, you are choosing a dating profile name which makes a natural connection with you as an individual.
Avoid These Things When Creating Your Profile Name
While it might be tempting to use a sexy name, this generally backfires because it attracts an audience who are looking for a quick hook-up or casual sex instead of being real relationship material. If this is what you are looking for, fine, but just be aware of this going in. Guys, quality females tend to run for the hills when they see a name such as "WellEndowed1" or "PleasureYou4real", and ladies, although you may be a hottie, using a name like "SexxxyPrincess" only makes you seem immature or shallow. Let your well-written profile and attractive photos speak for themselves.